Sunday, October 13, 2013

What are my financial goals now?

I used to write a lot more in this blog back when I was paying down our second mortgage and aggressively contributing to my IRA.

I thought I should write a bit about what my current financial goals are. I'd love to be aggressively paying down our mortgage and saving for retirement. But my first and most important financial goal is to stay out of debt. We have two "big ticket" items to pay for in the next couple years. Our house, which was built in 1987, still has what we believe to be the original windows and siding. We did replace the windows in the basement about a year ago, but the upstairs windows and siding still needs to be replaced. I have not got any bids on this yet, but I'm budgeting about $25,000 to $30,000 and crossing my fingers that it's less!

We also have a 2001 Ford Ranger. It still works, but since it is now about 13 years old, we know it'll come time to replace it soon. I am hoping to get a used vehicle when we do replace it (maybe about 2 years old). When the time comes to replace the truck, my husband wants to get another truck. I'm estimating it'll cost about $20,000 to $25,000 to get a new used truck.

So right now I need to save about $45,000 to $55,000 in cash to pay for this stuff.

As you can see in my last net worth update, I had nearly $34,000 in cash already saved. Some of that is my very tiny emergency fund of $6,000. (Because I am saving a ton of cash now, that money ear marked for these other goals can be reallocated to an emergency if I needed to.) So that leaves about $28,000 already saved towards the first goal (which looks like it'll be the windows and siding as of now). So I just need another $2,000 and I should have that one saved for. I'm slowing myself down a bit though because I just invested $1,000 in my Roth IRA. We won't be able to get the windows and siding anytime soon anyway because it's almost winter.

Throughout this year, I have contributed $2,500 towards my regular IRA (I'm more motivated to put money into that one since I don't have to pay taxes now). So between the two, I will have invested $3,500 for 2013. I can still invest another $2,000, but I haven't decided if I want to do so yet because I want to get these two big purchases saved for ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment