Thursday, April 12, 2012

Net worth update - April 2012

It's time for my quarterly check in on my net worth. Here are the numbers:

Approximate value of our house: $175,700* (up $100)
Roth IRA: $23,997 (up $1,887)
Simple IRA: $5,332 (up $832)
Savings (including emergency fund): $14,729 (up $1,918)
Total assets: $219,758 (up $4,737)

Liabilities:
Mortgage: $182,310 (down $763)

Total net worth: $37,448
Difference since last quarter: $5,500

For the first time in a while our house value hasn't dropped like a rock and negatively affected our net worth. It even went up slightly! It was nice to see an increase in our net worth of $5,500 in 3 months! My IRA's are doing well and increasing in value and I only added $200 since my last net worth update. Maybe this is a sign of good things to come:)

Currently, my main wealth goal is still to build up cash. I was a little disappointed to see the cash savings not go up that much, but I also have to remember we bought windows for the basement which were about $4,000 and we also had some expensive car repairs too.

I'm still not really sure what our next big purchase will be, but I know it's coming. I'm guessing it'll be a new vehicle, if not windows for the upstairs. So of course when the time comes to make the big purchase it will make it appear our net worth is less. I don't like to include non-monetary assets other than the house in these reports. I'm still debating whether to remove the house, but if I did it would show a negative net worth due to the mortgage.
*Source: Zillow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment